Monday, February 1, 2010

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pantalones


  Hola'. There, now I have used up 2 of the 14 Spanish words I know. I am ashamed to live in California and not speak Spanish. But I took four years of Latin, and hand me some Ovid and I'm your girl. Not really, I only know one phrase in Latin, but it's a useful one: "Semper ubi sub ubi." Translation: "Always wear underwear." Good advice, the kind of advice a big sister might have given me in second grade before I launched myself on the monkey bars. Sisters are supposed to be good at that kind of thing, but here's the rub: I never had a sister. I had three brothers, so I spent a fair amount of time faking injuries and watching them get punished. Perhaps this is why I like the movie Reservoir Dogs so much. So much blood.

  But you don't need blood ties for a sister (and you don't need dorky make-believe traveling pants that fit all four friends even before America Ferrera lost all that weight and got Ugly Betty cancelled.) One of my brothers married the Duchess of Fort Bragg, and she is a master thrift shopper. Here is a belt she bought recently (the top and jeans are also thrift):


  Here's one thing I know for sure. If I had a sister, and she shopped with me at Goodwill, she NEVER would have let me buy this little wench number. My sister would have had a cool name like Laramie or Patti Smith, and she would have seen this number and laughed a throaty laugh and said, "Who do you think you ARE buying that thing? An Empress of a Second-Rate Renaissance Faire? A waitress at Gulliver's? A puppet in a It's a Small World ride? Stop embarrassing me and  put all that dachshund crap down before we get to the register. Ahhhhh, sisterhood.
  

7 comments:

  1. "always where under where"

    PS. i laughed out loud at this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't really buy this dress, did you? Well, if you did you should at least be in the chorus (if not the star) in a production of "Oliver" at your local community theater. You would fit right in! Libby

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought this dress because I believe that we don't just put clothes on everyday, we costume ourselves. Sometimes the costume I choose belongs on another stage set that day. - Jeri

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are not alone, sister! I just haven't unpacked all my bags from my trip (full of thrift shop items, of course). Thanks for the title! I work at the hospice thrift on Saturday! Keep up the GOOD work, O Empress.

    The Duchess of Fort Bragg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could we possibly have anything more in common? Thrift store lovers AND former Latin scholars! Love the blog, Empress! You're making me LOL. :)
    xo,
    Boomer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go on your thifty adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boomer, great minds and all that. You are my guru in this blog business. It's an honor to have you post here. Just for you, Boomera Livia:
    "Braccae illae virides cum subucula rosea et tunica Caledonia-quam elenganter concinnatur!" Translation: "Those green pants go so well with that pink shirt and the plaid jacket!"

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments, posts, horoscopes and Freudian analyses. Photos are welcome. Also, sign up as a follower (it's easy -- look to your left.) oxox Jeri